16 December 2012

Blood Work is Back

So now we're catching up to where I'm at and why I started this blog.  I got my results back, and a letter from the doctor.  So here's the deal:
  • Age: 38
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 185 lb
  • Antral Follicle Count: 9 (one ovary)
  • Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH): 9.4 pmol/l
The letter from the doctor used the phrase "reasonably good" when describing my follicle count and AMH result.  He went on to say that, I am still at an age where, "there is moderately good prospects of successful outcome following the thawing and fertilization of these eggs."

It's all very careful language isn't it?  I mean, I know they can't promise anything.  And I'll tell you what else, looking at IVF blogs is disheartening.  Even for example, when I think about my good friend who went through 8(!) rounds.  Yes, she just had babies from the last round, but all of those other eggs, they weren't good enough.  I know egg freezing is not anything close to a guarantee that these eggs will work out.  It's a lot of money.

However.... it's not my money.  Is that terrible?  I'll be honest here.  If it was my own money, I'm not sure that I'd spend it on this.  But since my mom is paying for it, I'm willing to take the risk.  I'm willing to let myself be hopeful.  And put myself through what will not be a particularly pleasant experience.  All for the chance of maybe having something.  But it's something I would really like to have.  At some point.

I do wish I'd done this when I was younger.  I'd have less angst if I still had both ovaries.  If I knew that a good cycle would produce a lot of potential eggs.  But I have to stay focused on my reality.  And I have learned this from the IVF blogs- my reality isn't the end of the world either.  It seems a lot of people trying to get pregnant have worse results than I do and they're going through and getting pregnant.  And I don't believe the doctor would have told me that I had "reasonably good" chances if I didn't.

I am going to go ahead with this.  Probably in February seeing as it's mid December and I'm about to go away for three weeks and will probably be getting my January period right before I come back.  So I'm going to get in touch with the clinic and find out what needs to happen in February.  Then I'll document everything as it happens here.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment